Morey Gates and Marble Lions


The ornate iron gates at the main entrance to the Gardens were a gift of the Hon. Edward Morey MLC in 1894 and the pair of marble lions situated just inside the gates were presented by the Hon. David Ham MLC in 1893

The Claxton Memorial


The Fountain was erected at the main entrance to the fernery in 1890 by public subscription. It was a tribute to Frederick Moses Claxton, Councillor and Mayor of Ballarat (1872-1877), who was devoted to beautifying the Lake and Gardens.

 
 
 

The Sundial


The sundial was presented in 1912 by Cr T.T. Hollway after his Mayoral year in office. It was constructed under advice of the Government Astronomer of the time.

McDonald Gates


The southern entrance gates with their ionic pillars were erected in 1921 with funds from the McDonald bequest..

 
 
 

The Reflection Pool


The pool dates from 1938 when it was presented by the Protestant Alliance Friendly Society to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the founding of the City of Ballarat (in 1868). The chrome sphere replaced the original bowl in 1969.

The Floral Clock


- was presented to the citizens of Ballarat in 1954 by the Ballarat Begonia Festival Committee and was moved to its present site from the Sturt Street Gardens in 1980.

 
 
 
 

The Adam Lindsay Gordon Cottage


It was occupied by the great Australian poet and horseman in 1868-69, and was relocated to its present position from Bath Lane near Craig's Hotel in 1934.
Ballarat Y's Men's Club, undertook its restoration in 1989, and in 1992 the Cottage was opened by the Ballarat Crafts Council as an outlet for locally produced crafts.

The Sensory Garden and Fountain


The garden and fountain were installed in 1987 as part of the Rock Garden project with funding from Victoria's Sesquicentenary celebrations. The area was further developed in 1993 by the City of Ballaarat with assistance provided by the Frank Pinkerton Estate and the Zonta Club of Ballarat.

 
 
 
 

Robert Clark Centre


The Centre was the result of a $2 million bequest from Bob Clark, grandson of Robert Clark, co-founder and proprietor of The Courier. The Conservatory and the Community Resource Centre opened in 1995 and are a permanent memorial to his grandfather.

Conservation Analysis and Masterplan


In 1994 a detailed study was undertaken to ensure that future management and development within the Gardens would be in accordance with the shared objectives of the community, the National Trust, the Council and the Historic Buildings Council.